A while back I organized all my sewing notions by putting them in canning jars. Since then they have pretty much just sat in a pile around the sewing room. After I finished the jars I started thinking about a set of shelves that would organize the jars a little better.
To fix my problem I drew up a little plan to make shelves out of 1×3 boards. Since the 1×3′s were actually a little skinny for the jars I also added little slats on the backs of the shelves so the jars won’t fall off the back.
A few weekends back when I was working on a some other projects I cut all the wood pieces down to size.
From the beginning I intended to put the shelves together using the nail gun. I thought to would be easier to paint everything before assembly so I set out all the pieces to start painting.
At the same time I also decided to work up a simple TV stand also for my sewing room.
I cut the tv stand out of a 1×12 board.
Since I used the kreg jig I assembled the tv stand before I painted.
Next I started in with the primer. I used the Behr primer first since I already had it on hand and it turned out to be a big mistake. The paint was really clumpy and it dripped all down the side of the wood. I ended up having to sand most of it off then prime again using the Kilz 2 primer.
That being said here’s all the pieces with the primer on.
I went back and forth on what color I wanted to paint the shelves. In the end I decided I wanted the shelves to blend into the walls so that the jars would be the focal point, not the shelves. Since I had some Zinc paint left over from painting the sewing room I decided to use that.
It took two coats to fully cover the wood but they turned out pretty good.
Once they were all painted then we used the nail gun to attach all the pieces together.
After it was all assembled I wanted to spray a finish coat for added durability. Since I already had a can of polyurethane in the garage I went with that. In hindsight I don’t think it’s meant to be used over paint and it ended up living a sticky finish. I finally went out and bought a clear gloss spray paint to finish off the shelves and it seemed to fix the stickiness.
After more than a week of trying to paint and finish they were finally done.
Even with the glossy finish the shelves do blend into the wall pretty well.
It’s so nice to finally have the jars off the table and displayed so that I can see what’s in each one.
I think it looks pretty good with the rest of the things that are set up on the sewing tables.
I also set up the TV stand in the corner. It takes up a little more room than just the tv did but it gets the dvd player out of the way which is nice.
It’s even tall enough to store the remotes and some dvds under the stand.
With those few little things checked off the list I’m getting closer to feeling done with this room. Maybe it will be the first room in our house to be “finished”.