Roman Shade Tutorial (Part 2)

Part 1 explains how I sewed my roman shades. This part is about how I assembled and hung the curtains.

After I finished attaching the velcro to the top of the shades, I turned them inside out again and slipped in all the battens (cut to size) into the slots in the curtain. I also slipped one more 1/4″ rod into the bottom hem as specified by the calculator for a weight rod.

Then I turned the shades right side out again.

Before I finished assembling the shade I made the mounting board. I created my mounting board such that the shades could be installed inside the window frame. If you want to mount it another way check out this website for more information. After the 1×2 boards were cut to size I covered them white left over white fabric. Then I stapled a row of velcro along the short edge to as you can see in the photo below.

This next step was yet another place were I veered off the path a bit. I added a second row of velcro on the underside of the mounting board. In the picture below the staples are on the floor side and the first row of velcro is on the top. This strip of velcro I added so that I could later add a panel of black out lining behind the shade.

The last step of creating the mounting board was to add the eye hooks. Chris was helpful here and drilled small starter holes and screwed in the hooks. I added the number of hooks as suggested by this calculator. One on each side about 1″ from the end and then the rest evenly spaced in the middle. Here’s a couple of examples.

Now that the mounting boards is finished and I moved on to marking the shades for where the rings were sewn. I just laid the mounting board on top of the shade and pinned were the hook are. You only need to pin on every other batten starting with the first one, so the last batten will actually have no rings. Only attaching rings on every other batten makes it so that the shade will pleat and lay well when it folds. Trust me on this. Check out Terrell Designs for more information on how the shade works.

Once I had all the ring locations pinned I stitched the rings on the backside of the shade. I made sure that the thread went around the whole dowel and through the front a few times and then secured the ring. TO minimize seeing the thread on the front side I used thread that closely matched the front fabric.

It would seem that with the slots that you wouldn’t need to secure all the way through the front but learn from my advice here. I didn’t catch the front of the shade on every ring on the bathroom shades and they don’t look, lay or pull as well as I think they could have. So this time I made sure to take a small tuck on the front of the fabric so they were all much more uniform.

After all the rings were on, I attached the mounting board using the velcro and strung the pull cord through the rings. I started at the top and laced down the row and then made a tight knot on the bottom ring. Then I cut off the string towards the last batten just so that there would be extra to work with. With the far left strung I moved to the right and strung the next one.

Here’s string number two attached on the shades. Yay they are all assembled! Now all that needs to be done is hang them.

Since we decided that we want to use black out lining but I didn’t want the added difficulty of adding them to the shades. I decided to cut panels that could be attached to the mounting board behind the shades when they are installed. I cut the lining to size and then serged all the edges to finish them. I don’t think it would have frayed but I wanted it to look a little more finished. Then I sewed on a strip of velcro on the top that will mate up with the velcro on the bottom of the mounting board.

With everything together Chris got out the tools and we went to work hanging the shades. These shades were a little easier to hang since they are smaller than the bathroom shades. Chris started by drilling a small starter hole were he wanted to screw through the mounting board to attach it to the window frame.

Then he just aligned the mounting board with the back of the window frame, drilled a pilot through the window frame and then attached the mounting board with screws. As you can see in the photo we pulled the shade off of the mounting board and laid it on the window frame to make the installation much easier.

Then we just attached the shade again with the velcro and installed the hook we bought similar to what we did on the bathroom shades. This ensures the strings will pull past the shade fabric and won’t bunch the pleated shade.

So here they are! Pulled all the way up. After they were all installed I braided the pull cords, added a cord pull to the end and installed the cord cleat on the window frame. They are pretty simple steps but for more info check out the website.

Here’s what they look like when they are down. I was afraid the flower fabric would be too overwhelming and feminine, thus the reason for the grey on the outside windows. I like how they came together and the way they turned out.

In this shot you can see the blackout lining in the top window. It doesn’t look so pretty but it does the job and it’s removable when we don’t have guests. There are also panels that go in each of the lower windows they just aren’t shown here.

Here’s what the shades look like from the outside when they are pulled up.

Roman Shade Up Outside

What the shades look like down from the outside.

Roman Shade Down Outside

Whew. The End.

Don’t forget to check out how I sewed the shades if you missed it.


Leave a Comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s