While I was trying to figure out how to make the cushions for my nursery chair I made this pouf to use as an ottoman with it.
I knew that I wanted an easy to make, comfy, lightweight fabric pouf that could be moved around. After surfing around the internet I finally settled on the Living with Punks tutorial. I liked that it was simple and I could easily tweak it to work with the height and size of my chair. I pretty much just followed the tutorial but here’s the basics of what I did.
To start with I drew a circle on a piece of paper to use as a pattern for the top and bottom. Originally I was going for 16″ across but it ended up being closer to 17″. I used this pattern and cut out two circles from an thick outdoor canvas.
Then I cut out a long strip about 54.5″ long. I just used scissors to cut along the pattern since I didn’t want the pattern to go off at a weird angle. I also cut it about 14″ tall so that it would be a good height for the chair.
Just like in the tutorial I made a little strap to carry it by. I pretty much just eyeballed cutting the fabric for it out and it ended up being about 4″ x 10″ before I serged it together.
I centered the strap on the side fabric and pinned it down with a little slack so that I could easily get my hand underneath it.
Then I just sewed down both ends securely.
After the handle was attached I sewed the short side of the long strip to make it a tube. I left a few inches open so that I could stuff the pouf later.
Then I sewed on the circles, turned the fabric right side out and stuffed the heck out of it. I ended up using three 12 oz bags of fiber fill, some left over foam chunks from the chair cushions and about a yard of thin cotton batting to get it as firm as I could. If you were just using fiber fill you might need somewhere between four and six 12 oz bags.
Once it was happy with the filling I hand stitched up the open seam and it was done.
It ended up a little lumpy and mounded but it’s pretty comfy. I’m happy with the fabric choice and the way the pouf turned out. I know in the end it was cheaper and goes with the rest of the room better than if I had bought something pre-made.
Plus I really like how it looks next to the finished chair.
Slowly but surely things are starting to come together in the nursery!