Another quick sewing project I did for the nursery was to make a couple of changing pad covers. I found this tutorial online about how to make a countered changing pad cover.
I ended up piecing together two different covers using some minky and cotton fabrics that I had left over from other projects. They weren’t my first choice of fabrics but I wanted to work with what I had.
Here’s the first one I made. . .
and the second.
The directions aren’t to complicated but it did involve me having to create my own pattern for the ends which I didn’t love doing. The pattern ended up being a little lopsided but it did turn out ok.
For the top all I had to do was piece my fabrics together to get the dimensions I needed.
The most confusing part of the process was actually sewing the top to the side pieces.
As a side note: With my first cover I used cotton on one end which doesn’t stretch at all. I found it really frustrating and nearly impossible to get lined up with the length of the top. The corners were also really hard to get to come out smoothly. That’s the reason I switched to using the minky on both ends of the second one.
Once everything was sewn together I serged the edges to finish them and then just created a casing for the elastic. I did find that since I used some cotton fabric the covers didn’t stretch quite as well over the pad. I think on the second cover I did use a longer piece of elastic than the tutorial suggested.
I know the color choices and fabrics may not be ideal for a changing pad but at least we’ve got a few covers to start out with.